Monday, November 25, 2013

Makeup Brush Cleaning 101

     Good evening everyone! Tonight, I have chosen to talk about the importance of cleaning your makeup brushes. Why should you clean your makeup brushes you ask? Your makeup brushes are a breeding ground for bacteria, facial oils and old makeup residue. If you are someone with acne prone skin, this is especially important because those bacteria and oils get spread around BACK onto your face with each use. This is why we clean our makeup brushes, to sterilize them. It is also good to help prolong the life of them. I predominantly use Elf brand makeup brushes from the studio line. While these are cheaper than Mac or Sigma brushes, I still want them in tip top shape for the smoothest makeup application. I have had my current set for 3-4 years now and they still look brand new. This is because I DO take care of them all equally, from my cheaper Elf brushes all the way to my few Mac brushes that I have acquired. I'm going to share several different methods with you and how well they worked in my experience.

     This first method is the one I, myself, use on my brushes most of the time to deep clean. The ingredients are nothing more than baby shampoo and water. I like using the Johnson's Baby Shampoo. The reason you would want to use baby shampoo is because it is gentle and won't harm your eyes or skin (in most cases). You can do this one of two ways.
  • The first way is to add a pea sized drop of baby shampoo into a small cup of water and swirl the brush around in it. Be careful NOT to submerge the metal barrel into the water, ONLY the bristles. If you submerge the barrel, the glue can weaken and cause your brushes to shed. As you swirl the brush, you should see the water turn colors. If the water gets too dirty, you can change the water and continue swirling or run it under low running water for a few minutes (which you would need to do to get the shampoo out of the bristles anyway).  
  • The second way consists of putting a small amount of water and shampoo in the palm of your hand and swirling your brush around in it. I do this when I know I have just recently deep cleaned my brushes, but I want to get a darker color blush or shadow out. Just make sure you rinse it under low running water when you are done to get the excess shampoo out.
I alternate depending on how dirty they are, sometimes I will start with the cup of water and then as they get cleaner, I move along to the palm of my hand. No matter which way I use, always make sure to pat dry and lay them flat to finish drying after rinsing them out.
   

     Another good method is to use dish soap and a sponge. Put a small amount of dish soap and water onto a new sponge and swirl your brushes around in it. You should see the colors begin to fall off your brush. When no more color is coming off of your brush, proceed to rinse it under low running water to remove any leftover makeup and soap residue. Lastly, pat your brushes to rid them of any excess water and lay them flat to dry.


     Another altenative to these at home methods is using a brush cleaner available from many cosmetics lines. My favorites are the Mac brush cleaner and the Elf brush shampoo. 

     Hope you guys found this article helpful. Stay tuned for more posts about your fave eauty products and tips. 

XOXO, 
Glamourgirl220 
"A Little Glamour Goes A Long Way"

No comments:

Post a Comment